Compared with other universities around the country, our voting rate is down. This, on top of the fact college students generally vote at a much lower rate than the average citizen. According to our campus report from the National Study of Learning, Voting, and Engagement, fewer than half of UVM undergrads voted in the last general election.
We can fix this.
Institutionalize voting; take advantage of UVM's ability to access thousands of students in a unique way which other clubs or groups simply can't. Here are some projects we're working on:
- Give students election day off as a campus-wide holiday, consistent with the letter the SGA signed.
- Have UVM text every student a link to Turbo Vote.
- Integrate voter registration into student orientation days.
- Add a polling site for the gerrymandered student ward.
- Bring voter registration to clubs, fraternities, and sororities.
- Research how to make SGA elections more competitive.